What Are Student Locals?
Student locals are subgroups that the ATA maintains for the purpose of delivering services to education students. The ATA operates 13 student locals, each affiliated with a university or college offering a program leading to a degree in education.
How Do I Join a Student Local?
If you are an education student who is enrolled in a full-time undergraduate program leading to eligibility for a teaching certificate, you qualify for membership in a student local. However, to join a local, you must first become a member of the Education Students' Association (ESA) or the Education Undergraduate Society (EUS) operating on the campus of the university or college that you are attending. To join the ESA or EUS you will need to pay a nominal fee. The ESA or EUS will forward $1 of your membership fee to the ATA, an amount that automatically makes you a member of the appropriate ATA student local.
What Are the Benefits of Belonging to a Student Local?
Here's what membership in a student local entitles you to:
- Membership in a professional organization
- Advice and consultation on professional matters
- Receipt of various ATA publications, including the ATA News and the ATA Magazine
- Current information on issues of concern to education students and teachers throughout the province
- Access to ATA Library materials, reference services and online periodical databases through TNET
- Reduced rates for membership in ATA specialist councils
- Opportunities to serve on your local's executive and, in turn, to attend the annual Student Local Conference that the ATA organizes each fall to help members perform their executive functions
- Lower rates at participating Alberta hotels
What Other Services Does the ATA Provide to Students?
In addition to organizing and maintaining 13 student locals, the ATA regularly arranges for members of staff to speak to university classes on such topics as the rights, roles and professional obligations of teachers. The ATA also arranges for guest speakers to make presentations at education events organized by, or of interest to, students.
- Student Local No 1 ESA, University of Alberta
- Student Local No 2 ESA, University of Calgary
- Student Local No 3 EUS, Red Deer College
- Student Local No 4 EUS, University of Lethbridge
- Student Local No 5 EUS, Medicine Hat College
- Student Local No 6 ESA, Concordia University of Edmonton
- Student Local No 7 EUS, Campus Saint-Jean
- Student Local No 8 ESA, Grande Prairie Regional College
- Student Local No 9 ESA, Keyano College
- Student Local No 10 EUS, Mount Royal University
- Student Local No 11 EUS, Grant MacEwan University
- Student Local No 12 ESA, Ambrose University College
- Student Local No 13 ESA, The King's University College
How Can I Find Out More?
General questions about student locals should be addressed to Member Services:
Phone: 780-447-9400 (Edmonton); 1-800-232-7208 elsewhere in the province.
For a list of staff assigned to the various locals, look under "Student Locals" in the Index to Staff Services.