2016 gotcha photo contest
The ATA News invites you to get your camera out and start shooting those award-winning photographs.
1st place: $200
2nd place: $100
3rd place: $50
Get snapping and good luck!
GOTCHA! Contest rules
- Photos taken by active and associate ATA members of education- or school-related activities are eligible. (Hint: photos depicting action are best.)
- Entries must be submitted by the member who took the photos.
- Photos taken between Sept. 1, 2015, and May 16, 2016, are eligible.
- Please email photos to email@example.com. Entries must be received by 5 p.m. on May 16, 2016.
- Each entry must be accompanied by a description of the activity; the names (if possible) of the people in the photo; the date when the photo was taken; and the photographer’s name, school and contact information.
- Cash prizes will be awarded to entrants whose photos place in the top three, as follows.
First place: $200
Second place: $100
Third place: $50
Each winner will also receive a certificate of merit, as will those receiving honourable mention.
- Up to 20 additional entries may be selected for an award of honourable mention.
- Each entrant may submit up to five photos but no entrant can win more than one top-three prize.
- A panel of individuals with photography, publishing and teaching experience will judge the entries. The decision of the judges is final.
- Winning photographs will be published in the ATA News.
- Photos submitted for the contest may be published in the ATA News, the ATA Magazine or other Association publications.
- Please read carefully. Failure to comply with any of these rules may result in disqualification.
Seeking furry submissions
The ATA News is seeking entries for Teacher’s Pet, which profiles teachers’ furry, feathered or even scaled friends.
If you have a cuddly companion that you’d like to share with your colleagues, please send us a picture, along with the following required information:
Your name, grade, school and the subject(s) you teach
Your pet’s name and breed
Also, please answer these two questions:
1) What makes your pet special?
2) How does your pet help you in your profession?
A selection of entries will be published in
an upcoming issue of the ATA News.
Please email your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: march 21
Auto for sale
2012 Dodge Ram 1500—Deep cherry all-wheel drive; 5.7-litre V8 engine with 5-speed automatic transmission; remote starter, dual airbags, dual-zone air conditioning, cruise control with steering wheel controls, sunroof, heated steering wheel, power locks, power windows, power mirrors, Alpine sound system, 8.4” navigation and back-up camera; approximately 124,727 km, primarily highway.
Sealed bids for the above vehicles should be marked “Car Bid,” attention Jeffrey Loke, ATA Business and Facilities Manager, Alberta Teachers’ Association, 11010 142 Street, Edmonton, Alberta
T5N 2R1. Bids will be accepted until 5 p.m., April 30, 2016.
For more information, contact Mr. Loke. Telephone:
780-447-9458 in Edmonton and area, or 1-800-232-7208
(toll free) from elsewhere in Alberta. The Alberta Teachers’ Association reserves the right to refuse the highest bid if it is deemed to be inadequate.
Stories and photos wanted
The ATA News is always on the lookout for interesting articles, photos and cartoons. Articles should not exceed 500 words and should be accompanied by a short byline, stating where you work and what you teach. Photos of teachers or students participating in interesting activities are welcome, as are cartoons. Don’t forget to include photo captions. Please note: Receipt of material does not guarantee its publication. Send your submissions to Managing Editor, the ATA News, 11010–142 Street, Edmonton, Alberta T5N 2R1 or submit electronically to email@example.com.
To advertise in The ATA News contact Kim Dewar, Advertising Manager
1-780-447-9436 direct, 1-800-232-7208 toll free, email: firstname.lastname@example.org