Highlights of the Provincial Executive Council meeting held December 1 and 2, 2011, at Barnett House, in Edmonton
1. Approved a draft memorandum of understanding between the Association and Concordia University College of Alberta granting interim recognition of Concordia’s teacher preparation program.
2. Named Shelley Magnusson to the position of executive staff officer, Government, effective January 1, 2012.
3. Received the report of a hearing committee, which found a teacher guilty of two charges of unprofessional conduct for using excessive force in restraining a student on the floor, thus failing to treat the student with dignity and respect, and for using excessive force in restraining a student on the floor, in the presence of the student’s classmates, thus failing to maintain the honour and dignity of the profession. The hearing committee imposed the penalty of a letter of reprimand to address both charges.
4. Received the report of the Professional Conduct Appeal Committee, which concluded that the penalty imposed by a hearing committee was too lenient and ordered that, in addition to a letter of severe reprimand, the teacher be declared ineligible for membership in the Association and a recommendation be made to the minister of education to cancel the teacher’s teaching certificate. The hearing committee had found a teacher guilty of one charge of unprofessional conduct for engaging in an inappropriate verbal and physical relationship with a female student, thus failing to treat the student with dignity and respect. The teacher had been declared ineligible for Association membership in a separate, earlier proceeding, and the hearing committee had imposed the penalty of a letter of severe reprimand.
5. Approved, with revisions, the 2012/13 program area budget recommendations and referred them to Finance Committee for costing.
6. Approved in principle an integrated election readiness plan for the 2012 provincial general election.
7. Approved an allocation from the Special Emergency Fund for costs associated with the integrated election readiness plan for the 2012 provincial general election.
8. Notwithstanding administrative guidelines, approved an overexpenditure for grants for locals undertaking political action in conjunction with the 2012 provincial general election.
9. Amended administrative guidelines to prohibit locals from using funds for election advertising as defined by the Election Finances and Contributions Disclosure Act.
10. Approved a frame of reference for Sturgeon School Division No. 24 teachers’ Economic Policy Committee.
11. Deemed the objectives of the teachers of Edmonton Islamic Academy to be consistent with those outlined in administrative guidelines.
12. Authorized the Committee on the Well-Being of Children and Youth to present its 2011/12 conference on the well-being of children and youth in partnership with the Society for Safe and Caring Schools and Communities.
13. Approved an overexpenditure to provide the Professional Development Facilitators’ Seminar at Summer Conference. The seminar was postponed in 2010/11.
14. Approved in principle and referred to the Resolutions Committee for processing for the 2012 Annual Representative Assembly a resolution urging the Government of Alberta to synthesize and communicate to teachers a comprehensive compendium of available supports and resources for students and families with mental health needs.
15. Approved in principle and referred to the Resolutions Committee for processing for the 2012 Annual Representative Assembly a resolution urging local economic policy committees to include a position of school administrator representative.
16. Named a field member to fill a vacancy on the Alberta French Language Education Consortium.