Year-Long Exchanges


Future updates will be provided regarding the resumption of the year-long exchanges.

Short-term E-Exchanges are available! Please see the section on short-term exchanges for more information.


Unlike short-term exchanges, in a year-long exchange, you won't be job-shadowing your exchange partner. Rather, the two of you will switch places at the same time: you teach in their school, and live in their accommodations. In turn, your partner lives in your accommodations and teaches in your school.  You remain an employee of your Alberta school district, retaining your benefits and pensionable service. Essentially, you are a long-distance commuter while on exchange!


The details

Timing: by the calendar year (January-January) or the school year (July to July)

Duration: 1 year

Location: Canada and overseas (B.C., Ontario, PEI, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Australia, Germany (fluency in German required), the UK)

What you provide

  • Cost of your own travel, including visa and teacher certification
  • Your accommodations (you and your counterpart will live in each other’s homes for the duration of the exchange)

What the program provides

  • Support: we find a match
  • Pre- and post-exchange guidance

For more information on year-long exchanges, download a copy of the Exchanging Minds: Year-Long Teacher Exchanges brochure.



  • Full-time, continuous-contract teacher with an Alberta Permanent Professional Teaching Certificate
  • The approval of your superintendent

Note: some districts have their own requirements such as 3-5 years of teaching experience.


How to apply for a year-long exchange

If you are a teacher with Calgary Public, Calgary Catholic, Edmonton Public or Edmonton Catholic, you will submit your application to your district’s HR department. Check with your district for the exact due date—it is usually during the first week of December.

If you are a teacher with a different school division, you will send the form directly to us.

In either case, the ATA must receive the approved application from you or your district by the second week of December. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the form is received by the ATA.

Applications for School Year 2020-21 and Calendar Year 2021 are now closed.


More questions?

Please see our resources page.