Collaborating with another education system is an effective and enjoyable way to promote cultural understanding and to reflect upon and enhance practice. The exchange offers a unique opportunity for teachers to learn and to compare and contrast various aspects of education between systems.
How do e-exchanges work?
- This is a one-on-one virtual exchange where you are paired with another teacher or school leader with similar educational interests.
- Matches can be within the province, within Canada or with our international partners in Spain, and may also be available in Germany, Iceland and Australia.
- Matches are made based on common educational interests.
- Projects/online exchange activities are for an approximate four to six weeks.
- Examples of possible projects: student wellness, global citizenship, technology and innovation in the classroom, instructional leadership, women in leadership, rural and remote schools, immigration, second language learning, STEM, inclusion.
- You and your exchange partner engage in discussions and video chats outside of class hours, much like a virtual pen pal, around educational topics. The frequency you connect is up to you. We recommend at minimum a couple of times per week during the exchange period.
When does the e-exchange happen?
The e-exchange happens throughout the school year, with the exact timing to be determined based on school calendars
How much does it cost?
There is no cost; EEP will provide program support throughout the exchange process.
Who is eligible?
- Fluency in the destination country language is not required, as the overseas teacher will be fluent in English.
- Teachers (K–12) must be Canadian citizens, have a permanent teaching certificate, have district approval and possess a minimum of five years of teaching experience.
- Applicants should demonstrate flexibility, adaptability, intercultural skills and a strong capacity to act as an ambassador for their school authority and the exchange program.
- Proficiency with web-based learning management systems is an asset.
- Proven communication skills, resourcefulness, initiative and community involvement are all desirable attributes.
Download the Application
Please see our resources page.
Educator Exchange Programs
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
780-447-9404 or 1-800-232-7208