COVID-19 FAQs for Alberta Teachers on Exchange

Last updated: 2020 07 06

Educator Exchange Program (EEP) is here to support you with information as it relates to Alberta teachers on exchange. FAQs will be updated regularly, and are intended to provide you with the most up-to-date information as it relates to your exchange. Australian teachers should receive direction from their relevant authorities and their exchange coordinator.

Please note that information is subject to change based on information from authorities so please check this page frequently. If you have questions or concerns that are not answered here, please contact and your overseas exchange coordinator. (2020 03 23, 1900)


What is happening with my Education Exchange Programs (EEP) year-long exchange between Alberta and Australia?

Exchanges remain intact, and EEP is acting on directives from relevant authorities. EEP is in close contact with overseas partner organizations and monitoring the situation closely. Exchange authorities have maintained regular communication to closely monitor the progression of COVID-19 in different exchange locations around the world. While each region will have its own specific context and approaches to the pandemic, the safety of participants remains a high priority. (2020 07 06)

I’m an Alberta teacher. Do I follow the protocols in place for Alberta or where I am in Australia?

You are to follow your local authority protocols in relation to both health and teaching. Stay up-to-date with the advisories where you are currently residing and working. (2020 03 22, 1300)

I am constantly checking the news and social media. Is this the right thing to do?

It’s important to stay up-to-date, but also to recognize that hyper-connectivity can elevate your anxiety. Stick to the facts, stay informed, and do your part to stay safe and positive. (2020 03 22, 1300)

I have contacted my exchange coordinator and I have not heard back from them. What do I do?

Keep in mind that there is a significant time difference between Alberta and Australia and your coordinator may not be able to respond in a single day. EEP will respond to you as quickly as possible and as we are able. Messages will be checked regularly outside of regular work hours, which are 9 am- 4 pm Monday- Thursday. Any emergent situations should be directed to  You can also reach out to our program assistant at to assist. (2020 03 22)

I am in Australia and feeling very stressed about all of this. Can I access my Employee and Family Assistance Plan (EFAP)?

Absolutely! You can sign up for their app by clicking here. They have great resources and online tools. If you are an Australia exchange teacher, consult with your exchange coordinator to get in touch with EFAP associated with your employer. (2020 03 22)

What resources can I access?

What leave entitlements do I have whilst in Australia?

Please consult the Procedures and Guidelines for Educator Exchange Programs booklet. (2020 03 24)

If I have to go to the doctor in Australia, what do I do?

Your employer’s benefit program is extended to you in much the same way as if you were still in Alberta. If you do not have a family doctor it is recommended to see if your exchange partner’s care giver can take you on. Staying healthy, both physically and mentally, is key. (2020 03 24)

If I require days off due specifically to COVID-19, such as putting myself in isolation, what do I do?

Follow your host school authority’s protocols, and track. If you go beyond the sick day allotments outlined in the exchange agreement, reimbursement will have to occur to the hosting authority. (2020 03 24)

Is there anything I should do before seeking medical care in Australia?

In order to facilitate that your benefits provider can pay your medical provider directly, we suggest that you contact your benefits provider, using the contact info on your benefits ID card- this might be a number you can call from overseas, or an email address.

How do I contact the High Commission of Canada in Australia?

You may wish to contact the High Commission of Canada in Australia for their perspective regarding your specific circumstances. The contact information for the High Commission is as follows:

High Commission of Canada in Canberra
Commonwealth Avenue
Canberra ACT 2600
Tel.: (02) 6270 4000
TTY: 01 (613) 944 9136
Fax: (02) 6270 4081



Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday 08:30-12:30 and 13:00 to 16:30

How do I contact Alberta Health Link (811) from overseas?

You can call Alberta Health Link 24hrs/7 days a week at: 1-780-408-5465. This will be useful for health- related inquiries as you prepare for your return.  (2020 07 06)

Where can I get more information on program guidelines?

We recommend all Alberta teachers be familiar to the Procedures and Guidelines for Educator Exchange Programs(2020 03 24)

I have questions related to collective agreements, health and safety, benefits. Who should I contact? (2020 03 24)

Teacher Welfare (collective agreements, health and safety, benefits)

Phone 780-447-9400 or
Email with Alberta teacher on Exchange to Australia in the subject line

I have questions related to member services. Who should I contact? (2020 03 24)

Member Services

Phone 780-447-9400 or
Email with Alberta teacher on Exchange to Australia in the subject line

What are other resources for health information in Canada ? (2020 07 06)

You can visit:

The official link for the latest information about the COVID-19 in Alberta: (2020 03 22)