Mahatma Gandhi 2015 Summer Institute
The faculty of education at the University of Alberta and the Mahatma Gandhi Foundation for World Peace are sponsoring the Mahatma Gandhi 2015 Summer Institute: Building Peaceful Communities. The Centre for Research for Teacher Education and Development is co-ordinating this institute, which takes place from July 6 to 16.
The institute will focus on building peaceful communities, contribute to teachers’ understanding of community-building in schools and classrooms, and offer strategies for building inclusive communities that resist bullying and marginalization. It will also offer an opportunity to engage with other practitioners from across Canada and the U.S.
For more information or to register, contact Eliza Pinnegar at email@example.com or 780-492-7770.
Autos for sale
Two similar cars except in colour and mileage are for sale.
2011 Chevrolet Equinox—All-wheel drive; (1) burgundy or (2) blue with black/red premium leather interior; 3.0-litre V6 engine with 6-speed automatic transmission; remote starter, dual airbags, electronic automatic climate control, cruise control with steering wheel controls, sunroof, heated seats, power locks, power windows, power mirrors, power liftgate, premium sound system, rear parking assist, bluetooth, 18-inch aluminium wheels, winter tires approximately 125,890 km.
1) colour: burgundy, mileage: approximately 125,890 km
2) colour: blue, mileage: approximately 119,748 km
Sealed bids for the above vehicles should be marked “Car Bid,” attention Jeffrey Loke, ATA Business and Facilities Manager, Alberta Teachers’ Association, 11010 142 Street, Edmonton, Alberta T5N 2R1. Bids will be accepted until 5 p.m., April 24, 2015.
For more information, contact Mr. Loke. Telephone: 780-447-9458 in Edmonton and area, or 1-800-232-7208 (toll free) from elsewhere in Alberta. The Alberta Teachers’ Association reserves the right to refuse the highest bid if it is deemed to be inadequate.
Make Your Summer Last a Lifetime
Join us this summer for fun, friendship, and amazing workshops at Camp fYrefly, Canada’s only national leadership retreat for sexual minority and gender variant youth.
Please visit our website to apply or to learn how to make a charitable donation to help send a kid to camp!
Applications are now open!
Applications for the 19th annual Teachers Institute on Canadian Parliamentary Democracy
The Library of Parliament is currently accepting teacher applications for the 19th annual Teachers Institute on Canadian Parliamentary Democracy, to be held in 2016 from Feb. 21 to 26.
Information and online applications are available at the institute’s website at www.parl.gc.ca/teachers. The application deadline is May 4.
2 015 gotcha! Photo Contest
The ATA News invites you to get your camera out and start shooting those award-winning photographs.
1st place: $200
2nd place: $100
3rd place: $50
Get snapping and good luck!
GOTCHA! Contest rules
- Photos taken by active and associate ATA members of education- or school-related activities are eligible. (Hint: photos depicting action are best).
- Entries must be submitted by the member who took the photos.
- Photos taken between Sept. 1, 2014, and May 16, 2015, are eligible.
- Please email photos to firstname.lastname@example.org. Entries must be received by 5 p.m. on May 16, 2015.
- Each entry must be accompanied by a description of the activity; the names (if possible) of the people in the photo; the date when the photo was taken and the photographer’s name, school and contact information.
- Cash prizes will be awarded to entrants whose photos place in the top three, as follows.
First place: $200
Second place: $100
Third place: $50
Each winner will also receive a certificate of merit, as will those receiving honourable mention.
- Up to 20 additional entries may be selected for an award of honourable mention.
- Each entrant may submit up to five photos but no entrant can win more than one top-three prize.
- A panel of individuals with photography, publishing and teaching experience will judge the entries. The decision of the judges is final.
- Winning photographs WILL be published in the ATA News.
- Photos submitted for the contest MAY be published in the ATA News, the ATA Magazine or other Association publications.
- Please read carefully. Failure to comply with any of these rules may result in disqualification.
Stories and photos wanted
The ATA News is always on the lookout for interesting articles, photos and cartoons. Articles should not exceed 500 words and should be accompanied by a short byline, stating where you work and what you teach. Photos of teachers or students participating in interesting activities are welcome, as are cartoons. Don’t forget to include photo captions. Please note: Receipt of material does not guarantee its publication. Send your submissions to Managing Editor, the ATA News, 11010–142 Street, Edmonton, Alberta T5N 2R1 or submit electronically to email@example.com.