Volunteer Retirement Consultants Needed
The Alberta Teachers’ Association Retirement Consultant Corps exists to provide retirement and pension information to members and assist members in preparing for retirement. Retirement consultants are active teachers who provide this volunteer service to members in their geographic area as required. No specific pension background or knowledge is required. Retirement consultants are appointed for a three-year term to a maximum of three consecutive terms.
Training consists of seminars at the ATA Summer Conference which take place each August during the first three years of the appointment. Also, two regular Saturday training sessions are held each school year (one in the fall and one in the spring).
Teachers interested in becoming retirement consultants are invited to submit letters of application to:
Chris M Gibbon, Executive Staff Officer, Teacher Welfare email email@example.com or mail to 11010 142 Street NW, Edmonton T5N 2R1
Letters should highlight reasons for applying and any relevant skills.
Application deadline: March 20, 2015
Autos for sale
Two similar cars except in colour and mileage are for sale.
2011 Chevrolet Equinox—All-wheel drive; (1) burgundy or (2) blue with black/red premium leather interior; 3.0-litre V6 engine with 6-speed automatic transmission; remote starter, dual airbags, electronic automatic climate control, cruise control with steering wheel controls, sunroof, heated seats, power locks, power windows, power mirrors, power liftgate, premium sound system, rear parking assist, bluetooth, 18-inch aluminium wheels, winter tires approximately 125,890 km.
1) colour: burgundy, mileage: approximately 125,890 km
2) colour: blue, mileage: approximately 119,748 km
Sealed bids for the above vehicles should be marked “Car Bid,” attention Jeffrey Loke, ATA Business and Facilities Manager, Alberta Teachers’ Association, 11010 142 Street, Edmonton, Alberta T5N 2R1. Bids will be accepted until 5 p.m., April 24, 2015.
For more information, contact Mr. Loke. Telephone: 780-447-9458 in Edmonton and area, or 1-800-232-7208 (toll free) from elsewhere in Alberta. The Alberta Teachers’ Association reserves the right to refuse the highest bid if it is deemed to be inadequate.
2015 gotcha! Photo Contest
The ATA News invites you to get your camera out and start shooting those award-winning photographs.
GOTCHA! Contest rules
- Photos taken by ATA members and associate members of education- or school-related activities are eligible. Photos depicting action are best.
- Entries must be submitted by the teachers who took them.
- The two best photos will receive first- and second-place awards. Honourable mentions will also be awarded.
- Each entrant may submit up to five photos. Prints must not exceed 5 x 7 inches in size. All entries must be unmounted. Don’t send slides or instant photos. Digital photos are welcome. The file size should be about 4 mb or 5 x 7 inches at 300 dpi. Send photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Photos taken between September 1, 2014, and May 16, 2015, are eligible.
- Each entry must be accompanied by a description of the activity, the names (if possible) of the people in the photo and the date when the photo was taken. Please provide this information on a separate sheet of paper. Do not write on the backs of the photos or attach anything to the front.
- Don’t forget to include your name, school, and school and home phone numbers.
- Send your entry to the ATA News Gotcha! Photo Contest, 11010 142 Street NW, Edmonton, AB T5N 2R1. Entries must be received by 5 p.m. on May 16, 2015.
- A panel of individuals with photography and teaching experience will judge the entries.
- First- and second-place winners will receive certificates of merit. The decision of the judges is final.
- Winning photographs will be published in the ATA News.
- Photos may be published in the ATA News, the ATA Magazine or other Association publications.
- Read carefully. Failure to comply with any of these rules may result in disqualification.
- Get snapping and good luck!
Stories and photos wanted
The ATA News is always on the lookout for interesting articles, photos and cartoons. Articles should not exceed 500 words and should be accompanied by a short byline, stating where you work and what you teach. Photos of teachers or students participating in interesting activities are welcome, as are cartoons. Don’t forget to include photo captions. Please note: Receipt of material does not guarantee its publication. Send your submissions to Managing Editor, the ATA News, 11010–142 Street, Edmonton, Alberta T5N 2R1 or submit electronically to email@example.com.