This by-election is to fill the vacancy on Provincial Executive Council for the position of District Representative, Calgary District.
The start date of the term will depend on whether the race is contested. It will be
- October 3, if only one nomination is received (and verified);
- October 25 – the day after voting closes – if there is a contest between two or more candidates.
The term concludes June 30, 2021.
About Provincial Executive Council
Provincial Executive Council (PEC) is the committee of 20 teachers responsible for directing the business of the Alberta Teachers’ Association. It includes five table officers (ATA president, two vice presidents, past president and executive secretary) and 15 district representatives. Its table officers and district representatives are elected to office by ATA members and serve two-year terms. By-elections for positions are held when vacancies occur before a Council term ends.
Members of PEC
- are Alberta-certificated teachers;
- attend two-day Council meetings at least eight times each school year;
- represent the Association at its Annual Representative Assembly, which is attended by more than 400 teacher delegates who debate and set Association policy and budgets;
- make decisions which influence the teaching profession and inform the strategic direction of the Association;
- serve on internal (ATA) and external committees and subgroups; and,
- engage in professional development as part of their duties.