Economic consultants (EC) are ATA volunteers who are selected from an applicant pool of practising teachers who have an interest in collective bargaining, labour relations and benefits.
EC’s liaise with Teacher Welfare Staff to help provide support, training and assistance to economic policy committees and locals in their geographic areas.
Applicants to the provincial EC corps should have ...
• five years’ teaching experience
• strong communication skills
• previous volunteer work with the Association
• knowledge of economic policy committees’ role and the collective bargaining process
• previous attendance at Summer Conference
• completed Teacher Welfare courses
Selected applicants will ...
• serve an initial three-year term that may be renewed once
• receive training via seminars at the ATA Summer Conference held each August
• attend two Saturday training sessions during the school year, Teacher Welfare Area Conference, field service meetings and monthly EPC meetings
• provide presentations at least two to three times per year
Teachers who are interested in applying should send a letter highlighting reasons for the application and relevant skills to TW@ata.ab.ca.
Questions can be directed to Lisa Everitt, executive staff officer, Teacher Welfare; phone 780-447-9400 (Edmonton area),
1-800-232-7208 (elsewhere in Alberta); e-mail TW@ata.ab.ca.