The Nadene M Thomas Graduate Research Bursary in the amount of $5,000 is offered annually to a member of the Alberta Teachers' Association who is enrolled in a graduate program in a specialty in education at a recognized Canadian university. Research must focus on health issues affecting teachers and/or on teachers' working conditions.
To qualify for the bursary, applicants must meet the following conditions:
- Hold a permanent Alberta teaching certificate and have completed at least five years of successful teaching in Alberta.
- At the time of application, be at the highest level of membership possible (active, if the applicant is eligible for active membership, or associate, if the applicant does not qualify for active membership) and have been at the highest possible level of membership for at least five years.
- Intend to continue a career in the K-12 public education system in Alberta.
- Be registered as a graduate student in a specialty in education at a recognized Canadian university.
- Not have received an ATA Fellowship or a Nadene M Thomas Graduate Research Bursary in the past.
- Be an Association member in good standing.
In selecting bursary recipients, the Association takes into account these factors:
- The applicant's academic standing,
- The applicant's contribution to the Association,
- The applicant's contribution to public education,
- Exemplary teaching practice in the K-12 public education system in Alberta, and
- The applicability of the research on health issues affecting teachers and/or teachers’ working conditions.
The Association names a selection committee that meets in early spring to review the applications and to select a potential recipient. The committee forwards its recommendations to Provincial Executive Council, which makes the final decision at its April meeting.
The selected recipient is granted the bursary in two equal instalments, the first upon receipt of the award and the second upon receipt of the completed research. Recipients are required to file a copy of their research with the Association.
Applying for the Bursary
- Obtain and complete a Nadene M Thomas Graduate Research Bursary Application Form . Faxed or
e-mailed applications will not be accepted.
- Obtain all necessary documentation. The specific documentation required for each award is detailed at the end of the application form.
- Mail or deliver the application form, along with all required documentation, to the following address by the close of business on February 28, 2020.
The Scholarship Subcommittee
The Alberta Teachers' Association
11010 142 Street NW
Edmonton AB T5N 2R1
To be considered, applications must be received by 5:00 pm, February 28, 2020.
For Further Information
For further information, contact Tracey McFeeters, Administrative Officer, Scholarship Subcommittee at 780-447-9466 or 1-800-232-7208. E-mail: email@example.com