Each year, the Association awards two fellowships, valued at $15,000 each, to ATA members who have been accepted into, or have already embarked upon, full-time study (as defined by the institution) in a doctoral program in education at a recognized Alberta public university. The fellowship program is intended to recognize academic excellence and to help defray the financial costs of university study.
Criteria for Eligibility
To qualify for a fellowship, an applicant must meet the following conditions:
- Hold a permanent Alberta teaching certificate and have completed at least five years of successful teaching in Alberta.
- At the time of application, be at the highest level of membership possible (active, if the applicant is eligible for active membership, or associate, if the applicant does not qualify for active membership) and have been at the highest possible level of membership for at least five years.
- Be entering or in his or her first year of full-time study (as specified by the institution) in a doctoral program in education at a recognized public university.
- Intend to continue a career in education in the K-12 public education system in Alberta.
- Not have received an Association Fellowship in the past.
- Be an Association member in good standing.
In selecting fellowship recipients, the Association takes into account these factors:
- The applicant’s academic standing,
- The applicant’s contribution to the Association,
- The applicant’s contribution to public education, and
- Exemplary teaching practice in the K-12 public education system in Alberta.
The Association names a selection committee, which meets in early spring to review the applications and to select potential recipients. The committee forwards its recommendations to Provincial Executive Council, which makes the final decision at its April meeting.
Fellowships are paid to recipients in two equal instalments, beginning in the fall. Recipients are required to file a copy of their research with the Association.
Applying for an ATA Doctoral Fellowship
- Obtain and complete the: ATA Doctoral Fellowship Application Form . Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted.
- Obtain all necessary documentation. The specific documentation required for each award is detailed at the end of the application form.
- Mail or deliver the application form, along with all required documentation, to the following address by the close of business on March 1, 2022:
The Scholarship Subcommittee
The Alberta Teachers’ Association
11010 142 Street NW
Edmonton AB T5N 2R1
To be considered, applications must be received by 5:00 pm, March 1, 2022.
For Further Information
For further information, contact Jessica Grayson, Administrative Officer, Scholarship Subcommittee at 780-447-9499 or 1-800-232-7208.