At its meeting on 2017 06 08–09, Provincial Executive Council struck a Committee on Convention Review and assigned duties to its members. The committee’s terms of reference is listed below, for your information.
Committee Terms of ReferenceTop of page
Committee on Convention Review
- Two members of Provincial Executive Council (one as chair)
- Four field members representing a cross-section of Association subgroups including:
- At least two with extensive leadership experience on Association convention boards, and
- At least two with extensive other Association leadership experience (as association instructors, local executives, professional development committee chairs, specialist council executives, or members of Association standing committees).
- Two members of executive staff (one as secretary)
- To consult broadly with the general membership and executives of Association subgroups throughout the review process.
- To briefly review the evolution and history of teachers’ conventions.
- To review the current mission, vision, and mandate of teachers’ conventions in light of changes to the education landscape and Association policy and strategic directions.
- To review convention timing, structure, and programming to determine how well the existing convention model is meeting members’ professional development needs.
- To review the organization, membership, and governance of convention associations and convention boards.
- To review convention financing and operations and identify potential Association supports and services that could decrease workload, redundancy, and liability.
- To review the Association’s protocols for convention attendance and alternate professional development.
- To review and clarify the interrelationship between convention associations, local associations, specialist councils, and external stakeholders.
- To present issues for discussion at the 2018 summer conference.
- To report and provide recommendations, as necessary, to the 2018 09 meeting of Provincial Executive Council.
Elaine M Willette-Larsen, District Representative, Central East (Chair)
Robert J Twerdoclib, District Representative, Central North
Andrea L Craigie, Field Member
Timothy C Johnson, Field Member
Allison E McCaffrey, Field Member
David D Teasdale, Field Member
Mark D Swanson, Coordinator, Professional Development
Dan Grassick, Executive Staff Officer, Professional Development (Secretary)
Please direct all convention review inquiries, questions, and correspondence to:
Executive Staff Officer, Professional Development
Alberta Teachers’ Association
11010 142 St NW, Edmonton AB T5N 2R1
T 780-447-9400 or 1-800-232-7208