At its meeting on 2017 06 08–09, Provincial Executive Council struck a Committee on Convention Review and assigned duties to its members. The committee’s terms of reference is listed below, for your information.
Committee Terms of Reference
Committee on Convention Review
- Two members of Provincial Executive Council (one as chair)
- Four field members representing a cross-section of Association subgroups including:
- At least two with extensive leadership experience on Association convention boards, and
- At least two with extensive other Association leadership experience (as association instructors, local executives, professional development committee chairs, specialist council executives, or members of Association standing committees).
- Two members of executive staff (one as secretary)
- To consult broadly with the general membership and executives of Association subgroups throughout the review process.
- To briefly review the evolution and history of teachers’ conventions.
- To review the current mission, vision, and mandate of teachers’ conventions in light of changes to the education landscape and Association policy and strategic directions.
- To review convention timing, structure, and programming to determine how well the existing convention model is meeting members’ professional development needs.
- To review the organization, membership, and governance of convention associations and convention boards.
- To review convention financing and operations and identify potential Association supports and services that could decrease workload, redundancy, and liability.
- To review the Association’s protocols for convention attendance and alternate professional development.
- To review and clarify the interrelationship between convention associations, local associations, specialist councils, and external stakeholders.
- To present issues for discussion at the 2018 summer conference.
- To report and provide recommendations, as necessary, to the 2018 09 meeting of Provincial Executive Council.
Elaine M Willette-Larsen, District Representative, Central East (Chair)
Robert J Twerdoclib, District Representative, Central North
Andrea L Craigie, Field Member
Timothy C Johnson, Field Member
Allison E McCaffrey, Field Member
David D Teasdale, Field Member
Mark D Swanson, Coordinator, Professional Development
Dan Grassick, Executive Staff Officer, Professional Development (Secretary)
Please direct all convention review inquiries, questions, and correspondence to:
Executive Staff Officer, Professional Development
Alberta Teachers’ Association
11010 142 St NW, Edmonton AB T5N 2R1
T 780-447-9400 or 1-800-232-7208