As a benefit of ATA membership, active members are entitled to join one specialist council of their choice each year at no cost. Specialist councils are an integral part of the Association’s activities. Granting members automatic membership in a specialist council is an innovative step toward increasing Professional Development opportunities for educators throughout Alberta and a way of promoting the professional expertise of teachers in curriculum and specialty areas.
Regular membership is restricted to active members of the ATA and to associate members who are ineligible for active membership as specified in ATA bylaws. Regular members are entitled to all the benefits and services of council membership including the right to vote and hold office.
Online Annual Specialist Council Membership System
To select or change your no-charge membership, please follow these steps:
- From the homepage at www.teachers.ab.ca Select the login link in the upper right-hand corner of the screen (in the blue bar).
- Enter your ATA Online Services username and password (email@example.com). If you do not have an ATA Online Services account, you may request an account from the login page.
- Once you have logged in to your ATA Online Services account, review your choices from the menu that will appear under My Online Account under the image carousel .
- From the Your ATA Tools option, select the Specialist Council Membership link.
- Click on Click here to get a membership in a specialist council.
Life membership is available to life members of the ATA as specified in ATA bylaws. Life members have all the benefits and services of council membership except the right to hold office. To join a specialist council, click here.
The most effective and inexpensive way a teacher can remain up-to-date is to belong to and actively participate in appropriate specialist councils.
Specialist councils are organized by the Alberta Teachers' Association to foster the professional development of teachers with common interests in curriculum areas. Opportunities to share ideas and to gather new information in each specialty area are provided through annual conferences, publications and regional workshops and seminars.
Each council is operated by volunteer teacher members who contribute their time, talents and enthusiasm to plan and operate the program and activities of the councils. The Association plays a supporting role by contributing financial grants, publication services and administrative assistance.
Student membership in specialist councils is available only
to full-time university students belonging to ATA student locals
. Student members are entitled to all benefits and services of council membership except the right to hold office.
To join a specialist council, click here