The Association adopted the following mission statement in October 1993:
"The Alberta Teachers' Association, as the professional organization of teachers, promotes and advances public education, safeguards standards of professional practice and serves as the advocate for its members."
As set out in the Teaching Profession Act, the objects of The Alberta Teachers' Association are as follows:
- to advance and promote the cause of education in Alberta;
- to improve the teaching profession
- by promoting and supporting recruitment and selection practices that ensure capable candidates for teacher education,
- by promoting and supporting adequate programs of preservice preparation, internship and certification,
- by promoting the establishment of working conditions that will make possible the best level of professional service,
- by organizing and supporting groups that tend to improve the knowledge and skill of teachers,
- by meetings, publications, research and other activities designed to maintain and improve the competence of teachers, and
- by advising, assisting, protecting and disciplining members in the discharge of their professional duties and relationships;
- to arouse and increase public interest in the importance of education and public knowledge of the aims of education, financial support for education, and other education matters;
- to cooperate with other organizations and bodies in Canada and elsewhere having the same or like aims and objects.