How can I get more involved in the ATA’s committee work?

Gordon ThomasGordon Thomas

Question: I would like to get more involved in provincial work with the ATA or represent my Association on Alberta Education committees. How do I go about applying for these positions?

Answer: The Alberta Teachers’ Association welcomes and encourages teachers to become more involved in their profession. There are a number of avenues you can pursue. If you want to participate on a provincial ATA committee (for example, Curriculum, Teacher Welfare Services or Political Engagement), then complete the online application form. Applications for service on ATA committees are typically accepted between February 1 and mid-April. Teachers wishing to serve on one of the Association’s professional corps—instructors, consultants and facilitators—should watch for advertisements in The ATA News, which usually appear between February and April. Teachers interested in representing their profession on Alberta Education curriculum and student evaluation committees must complete the Curriculum and Student Evaluation Name Bank application form and be approved by Provincial Executive Council. Applications are accepted anytime.

In all cases, selections or appointments are made on the basis of teacher expertise, experience and Association involvement, as well as geographic location and area of specialization. The required forms are downloadable from the Association website ( under Quick Links, Frequently Used Forms.

Questions for consideration in this column are welcome. Please address them to Gordon Thomas at Barnett House (